Water Monsters arrive in different guises. From time immemorial beings real and mythic await those who err. Or who in innocence linger in or traverse a vulnerable place. Swallowed, disappearing in dark liquid depths. Fearsome. Especially so along the river now known as Columbia.
Lake Celilo swallowed living and sacred places of the River People - villages, cemeteries, fishing stations, pathways — and rock art — on March 10, 1957, as the gates of The Dalles Dam closed.
Below, a small sampling of photographs from the mid-1950s show a very few of the stones among the hundreds of petroglyphs that were swallowed that day. Disappeared under the waters. The photos presented here are for non-commercial, educational purposes by permission from the archives of the late David Cole. About two dozen other stones were salvaged and preserved, languishing near the dam until several years ago when they were respectfully installed as the Temani Pesh-wa trail in Washington's Columbia Hills State Park. That group is on public view during the Park’s season April-October. With appreciation to the ancestors of today's River People.
Virginia Butler’s 2007 paper Relic Hunting, Archaeology, and Loss of Native American Heritage at The Dalles. Oregon Historical Quarterly, 108(4), 624-643.
Petroglyphs near the Dalles of the Columbia River. 1925. W. Duncan Strong and W. Egbert Schenck. American Anthropologist, New Series, 27(1), Jan-Mar 1925, 76-90.
- Apr 16, 2019
- Apr 5, 2019
- Mar 29, 2019
- Feb 7, 2019
- Jan 24, 2019
- Dec 31, 2018
- Dec 21, 2018
- Dec 15, 2018
- Nov 20, 2018
- Oct 27, 2018